The Organization of Teratology Information Specialists (OTIS)/MotherToBaby
The Organization of Teratology Information Specialists (OTIS) is the professional scientific society made up of the experts that provide the MotherToBaby service, and the researchers that perform the MotherToBaby Pregnancy Studies. OTIS was established in 1987 as a way of connecting world-renowned experts in the field of birth defects research to the general public. OTIS was incorporated in April 1999 as a nonprofit organization. In 2002 OTIS established a national call routing system so that anyone in North America calling the toll-free number, 1-866-626-6847, would be routed to an affiliated service to speak with an expert.
In 2013, OTIS announced MotherToBaby and MotherToBaby.org, a name for its public-facing service and research studies. Today, MotherToBaby affiliates around the world provide the most cutting-edge and up-to-date information about the risks of medications, chemicals, herbal products, illicit drugs, diseases and much more during pregnancy and while breastfeeding. OTIS and its information service, MotherToBaby, are suggested resources by many agencies including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). More than 100,000 women and their health care providers seek information about birth defect prevention from OTIS and MotherToBaby every year.
- Provide counseling to patients and health care professionals about exposures related to pregnancy and breastfeeding, so they can make informed treatment choices.
- Reduce risks and decrease the number of preventable birth defects by educating the public and health care providers about specific agents of concern.
- Empower patients with accurate information about the true risks of an exposure, thereby preventing unnecessary terminations of wanted pregnancies.
- Facilitate communication and collaboration between affiliated services.
- Contribute collectively to research and the worldwide literature in the field of teratology.
Multiple Sclerosis & Pregnancy Study
MotherToBaby Pregnancy Studies conducted by OTIS is currently studying the effects of multiple sclerosis as well as the medications to treat it, during pregnancy. This is an observational research study that requires no additional work from the health care provider beyond a referral. Patients are asked to participate in phone interviews during pregnancy, and to release medical records pertaining to their pregnancy and the health of their child. To refer your patient, please use our online form
Journal articles and more to your inbox
Get the latest clinical insights from touchNEUROLOGYSign me up!